– Change your footwear: heels and slip on shoes can make you trip or slip and fall. Be sure to continuously get your feet measured for properly fitted shoes, buy non-skid soles, and avoid thick soles.
– Remove Clutter: Improve safety in your home by avoiding/securing throw rugs, cleaning spills up immediately, moving boxes and phone cords out of your direct pathway.
– Improve lighting: use night lights in case you have to get up during the night, turn on lights before entering rooms.
– Use Assistive Device: use your cane or walker if feeling unsteady around the house/in public, other assistive devices such as shower chairs and handle bars in the shower also may be necessary if you are having difficulty.
– Medicines/Blood Pressure: check blood pressure regularly and when lying sit for a minute before standing up. Check with MD if you feel medicines are making you feel dizzy or off-balance.
– Avoid excessive Alcohol/Tobacco use: this can decrease your lung capacity/endurance and judgment.
– Maintain an Adequate Diet: Strength and energy can be depleted by not taking in enough calories or water.
** For more information on how you can prevent falls and get involved in more physical activity contact Synergy Physical Therapy & Wellness and Wellness at 719 568-9790 or synergyptw.com